Dental veneers are one of the most recurrent dental beauty treatments. That’s why, in today’s post, the best dentist in Delhi is going to tell you what they are, what they’re for, how they’re placed, and what their pros and cons are.
What are dental veneers?
The dental veneer is a small, thin sheet of porcelain usually, although it can also be of other materials such as composite, which adheres to the front of the tooth to mask or cover problems.
Dental veneers, also known as dental facets or aesthetic veneers, are aesthetic reconstructions of porcelain (or composite) aimed at improving the external image of the denture, since they allow to visually modify the shape, brightness, color and mask various oral pathologies, explains the dentist in Delhi.
There are several types of dental veneers in Delhi, but the most well-known or used are:
- Composite dental veneers: This is a non-invasive treatment, as these are made directly on our teeth, applying the material on the visible part and shaping it until the desired appearance is achieved. That is, layers of composite are added to the surface of the tooth. In addition, for placement it is not necessary to carve the tooth, making it possible for them to be placed without the need for anesthesia.
- Porcelain dental veneers: This is a thin sheet of porcelain that is placed on the visible part of the tooth. Its functionality is to modify the appearance of the tooth in color, shape and brightness. In addition, they are resistant and allow to eat normally.
What are dental veneers for?
Dental veneers are an ideal choice in situations where the original teeth have a dark color and irregular shapes.
They are also a good choice for fractured teeth, gaps between the teeth and for some situations where the position of the teeth is compromised and there are minor problems related to occlusion.
For some people, surface stains don’t respond well to tooth whitening. In these situations, a porcelain veneer may also be the best option.
That is why dental veneers have as their main function the dental aesthetic, since they allow to coat the dental parts making see a perfect denture.
But, yes, it is not a solution to oral health problems, since it is only an aesthetic treatment that masks but does not solve those problems, says the dentist in Delhi.
How are veneers placed?
Unlike the holsters or crowns, where the reduction of healthy tooth tissue is very aggressive, to place veneers a slight spraying of the front enamel of the tooth will be enough to allow the adhesion of the dental veneer. So it is a much more conservative treatment, explains the dentist in Rani Bagh.
Once the veneers are attached to the tooth, the tooth-veneer assembly acquires a fracture resistance comparable to that of an intact tooth. So, we could understand, that a ceramic dental veneer is the synthetic substitute for tooth enamel.
Before we start the dental aesthetic treatment, we perform a study of the aesthetics of your mouth that is according to the rest of your facial physiognomy. To do this we use photographs, technological applications such as Digital Smile Design and models of your mouth.
So we can show you a very approximate result of your final smile before we start.
Then we will only need 2 sessions for the placement of the veneers:
- First session: Once the treatment to be carried out has been agreed between the dentist in Rani Bagh and the patient, the preparation of the teeth and the molding of the mouth is carried out in order to make the veneers. On this same visit, a temporary veneers will be placed to avoid the deterioration of the preparation of the teeth.
- Second session: On this second visit to our dental clinic in Rani Bagh the dental veneers are attached one by one on the patient’s teeth.
What are the pros and cons of dental veneers?
Unlike everyone, let’s start with the drawbacks or disadvantages of aesthetic veneers, so that after reading the advantages a better taste of the mouth will be 😉
Inconveniences of dental veneers
- Dental sensitivity: You may feel a little tooth sensitivity for the first few days after your treatment, as your teeth have been prepared to adhere to cosmetic veneers.
- In case of breakage, wear or deterioration: If the damage is small, it can be repaired and modified. But in case there is a lot of damage, it is advisable to change the dental veneer. But for this to happen is very unusual.
Few inconveniences, huh?
Advantages of dental veneers
- Natural and beautiful appearance: Being thin layers that are placed on the vestibular surface of the anterior teeth, they provide a natural and very beautiful appearance. In addition, with porcelain veneers, a natural glow is returned to the tooth.
- Biocompatible material: Dental veneers are often made from biocompatible materials. This means that they are materials tolerated very well by the dental and non-dental tissues of our mouth.
- Correction of alterations: These help correct alterations in the size, color and shape of the teeth. It can improve the color of teeth, may be an alternative treatment to orthodontics for mild tooth malposition and may help improve tooth size.
- Highly resistant: Aesthetic veneers are very resistant and the patient’s customs or habits are not altered by their placement.
- It’s a treatment with a very short process.