Cooked rice mixed with flavourful tomato chutney
TOMATO RICE – (Serves – 4)
3-4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
3 cups cooked rice
1 tbsp desi ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
2 tsps roasted chana dal (daalia)
2 dried red chillies
¼ tsp asafoetida
1 tsp mustard seeds
12-15 curry leaves
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1. Heat ghee in a non-stick pan.
2. Dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds, poppy seeds and chana dal in another non-stick pan. Roughly chop red chillies, remove the seeds and add to the pan and continue to roast till fragrant.
3. Add asafoetida and mustard seeds to the ghee and let the seeds splutter. Add curry leaves and sauté till leaves turn crisp.
4. Add tomatoes, mix well, cover and cook till tomatoes turn soft and pulpy.
5. Switch off heat from under the 2nd pan, cool down the roasted ingredients to room temperature and grind to a fine powder.
6. Add turmeric powder and 3 tbsps ground powder to the tomato mixture. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add rice, switch off heat and mix well. Add salt, 3 tsps ground powder and mix well. You can store the remaining powder in an airtight container.
8. Transfer the prepared rice onto a serving dish and serve hot.
Click to Subscribe:
Best cooked in Wonderchef Kitchenware. Buy Now on :