full recipe for Tava masala idli
Prep time: 10 mins
Rest time: 30 mins
cooking time: 25 mins
• Rava (semolina) 1 cup
• Curd 1 cup
• Salt to taste
• Water 3/4th cup
• Fruit salt / baking soda 1 tsp
• Ghee 1 tbsp
• Jeera (cumin seeds) 1 tsp
• Onion 2 medium size (chopped)
• Red chilli paste 2 tbsp
• Garlic paste 2 tbsp
• Capsicum 1 medium size (chopped)
• Tomatoes 3 medium size (chopped)
• Salt to taste
• Turmeric powder ½ tsp
• Pav bhaji masala 1.5 tbsp
• Fresh coriander 1 tbsp (chopped)
• Lemon juice 1 tsp
• In a bowl add rava, curd and salt to taste, mix well and rest it for 30 minutes, add water slowly and gradually and whisk well, make sure there are no lumps and it should in pouring consistency. Rest it for 15 minutes.
• Grease the idli mould with oil or ghee and set the steamer ready, add the fruit salt just before steaming the idlis and whisk well, this step helps in making the idli much softer.
• Fill the idli batter in the greased mould and steam them in a preheated steamer for 7-8 minutes.
• Do check it by inserting a toothpick in the centre of the idli, if the toothpick comes out clean its done or else steam for few more minutes and do the toothpick test.
• Cool down the idlis for 1-2 minute and the demould them, cut the idlis in 4 quarters and keep them aside.
• Heat ghee in a pan on medium heat, add jeera and onions and cook until onions turn translucent.
• Add red chilli paste and garlic paste and cook for 3-4 minutes or until oil is released.
• Add capsicum, tomatoes, salt to taste, turmeric powder and pav bhaji masala, mix well and lightly mash the tomatoes & cook for at least 3-4 minutes. Add a splash of water if the masala gets to dry.
• Add the idlis to the masala and mix it gently and well so the idli coast well with the masala, cook for 2-3 minutes.
• Finish it by adding freshly chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice, your tava masala idli is ready to be served, serve hot with coconut chutney.
Join us on:
Follow Chef Sanjyot Keer Here: