A classic Maharashtrian dal recipe where toor dal is cooked along with spinach and tempered in a peanut-coconut masala.
1½ cups split pigeon peas (toovar dal), soaked for 1 hour and drained
10-15 garlic cloves, crushed
1½ inch ginger, chopped
¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
7-8 light green chillies, chopped
2 medium green tomatoes, chopped
1 cup shredded spinach leaves
1 cup chopped sorrel leaves (ambadi)
Salt to taste
2- 3 tbsps oil
2-3 tbsps raw peanuts
2 tsps cumin seeds
½ cup sliced dried coconut
¼ tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
2 tsps kaala masala
2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander
Steamed rice for serving
1. Heat a pressure cooker, add toovar dal, water, garlic cloves, ginger, asafoetida, green chillies, green tomatoes, spinach leaves, sorrel leaves, salt and mix well.
2. Cover with the lid and cook on medium heat till the pressure is released 3-4 times. Open the lid once the pressure settles completely and mash the dal properly.
3. For the tempering, heat oil in a kadai. Add peanuts, cumin seeds and sauté for a minute.
4. Add dried coconut and sauté till the coconut turns golden brown.
5. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, kaala masala and mix well.
6. Add the cooked dal, coriander and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
7. Transfer in a serving bowl and serve hot with steamed rice.
Click to Subscribe:
For more recipes :
To get recipes on your Google or Alexa devices, click here :
Best cooked in Wonderchef Kitchenware.
Buy Now on :