Many men still ignore the importance of prostate examination for the prevention or early diagnosis of cancer. The main reason is the prejudice against digital rectal examination, which allows the doctor to check the size and shape of the prostate, investigating the existence of other abnormalities.
It is worth mentioning that the diagnosis of early prostate cancer significantly increases the chances of cure, says the best urologist in Noida.
Prostate: after all, what is its function?
The prostate is a gland and is located in front of the rectum, below the bladder. Its main function is to produce prostatic fluid, which grants more mobility to sperm when a man ejaculates, in addition to protecting them from the acidity of the vagina. During ejaculation, contraction of the prostate prevents urine from passing from the bladder to the urethra, leaving the pathway free for the sperm to drain.
In this context, the diseases that most affect the prostate are benign hyperplasia (enlarged prostate), prostatitis (bacterial infection) and the referred prostate cancer. Although it is not a vital gland for men, its surgical removal can bring two significant complications: urinary incontinence and sexual impotence. For this reason, it is crucial to have an annual prostate check-up, says the urologist in Noida.
Symptoms of prostate cancer
Prostate cancer, in the early stage, has no symptoms. Difficulty passing urine may be due to benign hyperplasia (natural enlargement of the prostate, which blocks the passage of urine) or the growth of a tumor, explains the urologist in Greater Noida.
In fact, when symptoms appear, it is because prostate cancer is already advanced, even presenting a great risk of reaching the ureters and bones. Once again, the data corroborate the importance of preventive exams by the urologist in Ghaziabad, every year, to detect possible abnormalities.
Check out the main signs of this type of cancer below:
- Increase in urinary frequency;
- Feeling that the bladder is always full;
- Reduction of the urinary stream;
- Pain when urinating.
Diagnosis: 4 main exams
- Digital rectal examination: This test allows the urologist in Noida to probe the prostate to check if the shape and size are normal or if there is a suspicious nodule.
- PSA: Through the blood test, it is possible to assess any changes in the PSA level. The increase in this enzyme indicates abnormality in the prostate, which can occur due to prostatitis or even prostate cancer.
- Ultrasound of the prostate: The ideal is to make the image examination through the rectum, since in this way a more detailed and effective analysis of the prostate is obtained.
- Biopsy: This test is performed only when prostate cancer is suspected. The collection of material is performed through the rectum.
Some men, because they feel ashamed and / or prejudiced against the digital rectal exam, believe that it is sufficient to take the PSA test. However, it is important to know that a PSA result within the standard does not exclude the possibility of a tumor. So, the ideal thing is to do both exams: digital rectal examination and PSA.
A prostatectomy is the surgical treatment indicated to remove the prostate and seminal vesicles in cancer patients. It all depends on the stage of the disease, general health and the age of the patient. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy are other treatments that can be recommended by the urologist in Delhi, in order to reduce the size of the cancer, before surgery, and eliminate cancer cells in other parts of the body, if the disease has been detected in an advanced stage.