Full recipe for Masala rava idli
Prep time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 25 mins
For making idli
• Rava (semolina, sooji) 1 cup
• Salt to taste
• Curd 1 cup
• Water as required
• For tempering
1. Oil 1 tbsp
2. Mustard seeds 1 tsp
3. Urad dal 1 tsp
4. Green chillies 1-2 nos. (chopped)
5. Cashew nuts 2 tbsp (broken)
6. Curry leaves 1 tbsp
• Baking soda 1tsp
• In a mixing bowl add the rava, salt and curd, mix well and rest it for minimum 30 minutes.
• For tempering, heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter, add urad dal and green chillies, cashew nut, curry leaf and sauté for a minute.
• Add the tempering in the batter, beat and mix well and adjust the batter consistency by adding water.
*Tip: add the baking soda to the batter just before steaming to get soft idlis.
• Grease the idli mold with oil, and pour the idli batter up to 3/4th of the mold.
• Steam the idlis for 7-8 minutes. To ensure the idlis are cooked completely, prick a toothpick and if it comes clean its done or else you need to steam further.
• Allow to cool down the idlis, demold them and keep aside for further use.
For making podi masala
• Dry red chilli 15-20 nos.
• White Sesame seeds ½ cup
• Oil 1 tsp
• Chana dal 1/4th cup
• Urad dal 1/4th cup
• Oil 1 tsp
• Mustard seeds 1 tbsp
• Curry leaves 8-9 no.
• Asafoetida (hing) 1 tsp
• Set a pan on medium heat and dry roast the red chillies for 3-4 minutes, remove it from the heat, transfer it to a mixing bowl
• In the same pan at same heat dry roast the white sesame seeds and dry roast them for 3-4 minutes, remove it from heat, transfer it to the same mixing bowl.
• In the same pan at the same medium heat, add oil, chana dal and urad dal and roast them as well for 4-5 minutes, remove it from pan, transfer this too in the same mixing bowl.
• In the same pan at the same heat, add oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves and sauté for 1-2 minutes, add hing and sauté for few minutes more, transfer this too in the same mixing bowl.
• Cool them down, add salt and mix well, transfer everything in a grinding jar and grind well to form a fine powder. Your podi masala is ready, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate them. Use accordingly.
For making masala idli
• Butter 2 tbsp
• Onions 2 medium size (chopped)
• Green chillies 1-2 nos. (chopped)
• Garlic paste 1 tbsp
• Tomatoes 2 medium size (chopped)
• Salt to taste
• Podi masala 2 tbsp
• Water 100 ml
• Fresh coriander leaves 1 tbsp (chopped)
• Steamed idli as required
• Set a pan on medium heat, add butter and onions, cook until they turn translucent.
• Add green chillies and garlic paste and cook further for 1-2 minutes.
• Add tomatoes and salt to taste and cook until they are mushy.
• Add the freshly prepared podi masala, add water, add fresh coriander leaves and mix well.
• Add the steamed idli to the pan and coat it well with masala on both the sides, cook it for 1-2 minutes more and remove it from the flame.
• Your masala rava idli is ready to be served, serve this spicy masala coated idli hot with coconut chutney and some chopped onions on side.