One of the main concerns of women who want to have a baby is to have a High-Risk Pregnancy.
It is a type of pregnancy that, either due to pre-existing maternal disease or produced by the pregnancy itself, requires a more exhaustive control of it.
Next, we want to help you know how to detect a high-risk pregnancy and, also, that you know the complications arising from this situation. Keep in mind that, in these cases, thorough gestation control is essential to prevent problems from increasing.
What is a High Risk Pregnancy and how is it detected?
When we talk about a high-risk pregnancy, we are referring to the fact that, due to the pregnancy itself, the woman or the baby may have some type of health complication. We have to emphasize that this is a very specific problem, since it only affects 10% of women in a state of pregnancy, however, it is important to know its existence and diagnosis.
During a high-risk pregnancy, some gynaecological, medical and obstetric situations usually occur that may endanger the health of those involved. This does not mean that, because of having this pregnancy, something bad is going to happen but that, simply, precautionary measures must be taken.
The Diagnosis of a High Risk Pregnancy
But how is a high risk pregnancy detected? There are different ways to detect the existence of this type of condition:
- Prior detection: it is possible that, due to the gynaecological history of the future mother, there are more chances that she can develop a high-risk pregnancy. Normally, the doctor is in charge of testing to detect the woman’s health condition (by blood tests, urine tests, etc.). The pre-pregnancy pathology determines that it is considered high risk
- During pregnancy: another way to detect that a pregnancy is being at high risk is during the 9 months of gestation. Here some health problems may occur that cause gynecologist in Delhi to identify you as a pregnancy of this type (gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, multiple pregnancy)
Symptoms of High-Risk Pregnancies
If you want to be able to detect if the pregnancy you are having may have some type of risk for you or your baby, it is important that you know some of the symptoms of this condition. In general, the signs that may indicate that you are at risk are:
- Vaginal bleeding
- Constant and very severe headaches
- Emergence of contractions
- Loss of amniotic fluid before 37 weeks.
- Blurry vision
- Twin or triple pregnancies are considered high-risk pregnancies.
- Chronic hypertension, pregestational diabetes, kidney, haematological or cardiac diseases prior to pregnancy also constitute a high-risk pregnancy.
However, it should always be the best gynaecologist in Delhi who diagnoses this condition. Therefore, it will be vital that, before any abnormal symptoms, go to the doctor for an exam.
Complications of a High Risk Pregnancy
It is essential that you detect in time if you suffer from a high-risk pregnancy because, otherwise, you could endanger your health and that of your baby. By consulting the gynecologist in South Delhi and following the guidelines that you set, you can better control the evolution of pregnancy and minimize the risks to the fullest.
And it is that high-risk pregnancy can cause some serious complications such as those indicated below:
- Having a baby with a weight much lower than healthy and safe
- Premature delivery
- Malformations in the baby
- In extreme cases, the death of the mother or the baby
For all these reasons, it is vitally important that, during pregnancy, you undergo a regular gynaecological check that checks your baby’s evolution and health status.
As we have seen in the previous section, there are several causes of high-risk pregnancy. Consequently, high risk pregnancy treatment in Delhi should always focus on the origin of the risk situation.
For example, in cases of maternal hypothyroidism it is necessary to keep a regular check. It can be done through analytics that collect thyroid hormone levels.
On the other hand, if the mother is diabetic or suffers from gestational diabetes, it is important to take care of food and control blood glucose.
The same happens in cases of hypertension, where blood pressure will be monitored regularly to prevent the foetus from having repercussions.
In addition to these specific measures, there are a number of guidelines that are common in any high-risk pregnancy. The most prominent are the following:
- Go to each and every review with your medical team.
- Rest and avoid situations of stress or emotional overload.
- In the case of a family history of any disease, notify the doctor immediately.
- Do not take medication other than the usual one without consulting the specialist: not all drugs are accepted during pregnancy. Some produce malformations and other alterations on the foetus.
- Avoid eating raw meat and fish. Sausages are also included in this group.
- Do not smoke or drink alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid eating sweets and ensure a good supply of liquids.
How to prevent a High Risk Pregnancy?
Some preventive measures include:
- Plan your pregnancy: If you are considering having a baby, we recommend consulting with a specialist. The best gynecologist in South Delhi will indicate all the necessary care you should have. If you have a medical condition, you can receive the appropriate and timely treatment so that you can have a healthy and risk-free pregnancy.
- Go to all your medical appointments: Going to all your medical appointments will help you keep better control of your baby’s health. In addition, you will know if a problem is developing or if you need special care.
- Eat a healthy diet: It is essential to have a healthy diet during pregnancy. You will need larger amounts of calcium, iron, folic acid, among other essential nutrients. You can supplement your diet with vitamin supplements. Consult your doctor if you need to eat a special diet.
- Stop bad habits: Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, using drugs, self-medicating among other bad habits. Which only harms your health and that of your baby.
- Gain weight properly: Obtaining the ideal weight will help you contribute to the proper development of your baby. In addition, it will be much easier to carry the extra weight. We recommend you check with your doctor so you can know the exact weight you need.
If you find yourself going through a high-risk pregnancy, you will most likely feel scared and anxious. Unfortunately, anxiety can affect your health and that of your baby. Consult with your doctor about the appropriate forms and techniques of relaxation that you can apply. For example, imagining positive things or good experiences will help you lower anxiety levels. Another excellent option is to listen to music or read interesting books to help you clear your mind.