Full recipe for Dal Bukhara
Rest time: 5-6 hours
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 2 hours
• Whole black gram (sabut urad dal) 1 cup
• Water as required
• Salt to taste
• Turmeric powder 1/4th tsp
• Ghee 3 tbsp
• Cumin seeds (jeera) 1 tsp
• Hing (asafoetida) 1 tsp
• Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
• Tomato puree 1 cup
• Red chilli powder 1 tbsp
• Coriander powder 1 tbsp
• Garam masala 1 tsp
• Kasuri methi 1 tsp
• White butter / normal butter 2 tbsp
• Fresh cream 4 tbsp
• Wash the urad dal thoroughly for at least 5-6 times with water and soak it in fresh water for minimum 5-6 hours or overnight. Drain the excess water.
• Set a cooker on medium heat, add the soaked dal and fill enough water to cover 2 inches above the dal surface, add salt and turmeric powder and mix well, pressure cook on medium flame for 5-6 whistles. Switch off the flame and let the cooker depressurize naturally to open the lid. Check whether the dal is cooked completely and mash it with a ladle, do not mash it completely. And keep aside.
• Set a deep pan on medium heat, add ghee, cumin and allow it splutter. Add hing and sauté for few seconds.
• Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for few seconds, add tomato puree and cook until oil releases.
• Add red chilli powder and coriander powder and mix well, keep stirring and cook for a minute. Add the cooked and mashed dal and keep stirring and cook it on medium fame for 20-25 minutes.
• Add hot water to adjust the consistency of the dal, add salt, garam masala and kasuri methi and continue to cook for another 20-25 minutes while stirring.
• Add butter and fresh cream and cook for few more minutes, the more you cook the better the consistency will be.
• Your dal Bukhara is ready to be served, serve hot with a blob of butter and laccha paratha and simple steam rice.